BK PLUS 21 - 14호웹진

참여대학생 수기

응용생명과학과 Nawarathna Amila Srilal 참여대학원생

My student life in Korea.

Hi All, I’m Amila from Sri Lanka. I joined with Konkuk University Applied life science department as a graduate student in 2016. During first few weeks, most of the things which I experienced were new to me and I started enjoying them, especially, weather, environment, food and new people.

After my arrival I soon understood that the cost of living in Korea is much higher than what I expected here. However, I could settle down within first two weeks with the immense support of my laboratory. BK21 started supporting me financially from the beginning of my studies. It was a great help to continue my student life more comfortably here. As a foreign student, I would say BK21 financial support is a vital factor that determines the decision of students to join with the postgraduate programs. So BK21 project attracts foreign students to do their postgraduate studies in South Korean universities.

I’m working with Bio material laboratory and my major is Biotechnology. My graduate program gave me a great opportunity to develop my imagination, creativity potential and strengthened my hands on capability in molecular biology research techniques. My laboratory has provided me with a good research environment which helped me to understand the scientific process involving in a research project. Furthermore, it helped me to gain a good experience and valuable knowledge on literature searches, data analysis, academic presentation, and scientific writing to peer reviewed journals. All these things became a reality because I have joined with a master graduate program in my current university. Since my decision to join with this master graduate program is encouraged by the BK21 project, what I have gained here is an indirect result of BK21 project.

Thought the support of BK21 project, I had the opportunity to participate for a few scientific conferences related to my field of studies. Also, I attended to few seminars and workshops organized by the BK21 project. These opportunities helped me to gain the current knowledge and future developments, as well as to find myself some interesting areas within the field. Other than that, it opened my ways to meet professionals, experts, students and to make new professional and friendly relations with them. Travelling to different parts of the Korea was amazing to understand about the Korean history, culture, customs and foods in different regions. Since I’m a person who likes to meet new people, share thoughts and ideas and to experience new cultures and customs, travelling was an overwhelming experience.

Apart from the academics, I found few amazing friends here and now they have become part of my life. We did lots of things together and it brought me joy and relaxation keeping my life balance with the studies. I joined with the university Buddhist club and I could involve with some club activities including temple stay. Through the club I got to know one amazing monk and soon he became a close friend to me since I’m interested about Buddhism. It was amazing to get to know about Korean Buddhist history and Buddhist cultural practices.

Overall, my Korean life became more simple and joyful because of the BK project since it supported me financially, as well as gave many opportunities to strengthen my knowledge and experiences in academic and non-academic interests.

본문